Friday, August 18, 2006

An Awesome Customer Service Experience.

Today, I went to work.



Most of you did the same thing.



Some of you did just as much work, but at home.



Whatever.



ALL of you know what I mean when I say that most people in stores absolutely suck. They're depressing, disinterested, bummed out, unmotivated, and don't give a shit if you ARE the customer, because you're interrupting their OBVIOUSLY more important... whatever it is they do.



I work in a store. Because I also shop in stores, I have made it my personal mission in life not to be like those people.



So, I greet people. I say things like "How are you today?" and "Are you finding everything you need?" and "Good to see you again!"



I try to answer people's questions - even if I don't know the answer, I can usually find out - and I don't mind walking a customer to a product, if I'm not actually carrying something heavy at the time.



All of which usually passes unremarked, because people up here are less demonstrative than in the south, but every once in a while you get someone at just the right time and can just make their day, and sometimes that can make yours.



That happened to me today.



I was at work, straightening displays, stocking shelves, you know the retail drill. I hear someone come up, so I turn around, and notice Grizzled Biker Dude, complete with Grizzled Biker Chick. Angry-looking, shuttered faces, screwed up in scowls like they just bit into something sour. Grizzled Biker Dude in particular looks like he wants to hit something. They are glaring unhappily at the displays, obviously not finding what they want, so I stroll over - I'm from the South, we don't hurry - and say, "Can I help you folks find something?"



Grizzled Biker Dude says: "Grrmmmmph."



Grizzled Biker Chick says *glare* "We're looking for *insert product name* and we need several, but we can't find it."



So I take them to it, and they needed more, so I went and got them more from the back. They started discussing what to do next, so I ask: "Can I help you folks with anything else while I'm here?"



They hem and haw, during which I take off my hat to scratch my head.



Good timing, that; GBD says "That's a service haircut."



Yep, sure is. "Yes, sir, I was in the Army."



GBD: "What outfit?"



"The 82nd Airborne."



GBD: "How long were you in?"



"4 years, and then I went home."



GBD: "I put 20 years in the Navy."



"Well, that'll let you see the world, won't it?"



GBD: "Hah! That's for sure."



GBC broke in to ask why I got out, and I figured in for a penny, in for a pound, so I said:



"Well, ma'am, after I got sent to Kosovo, I realized that WE knew what we were there for, but the rest of the country didn't, and didn't care if we won or lost, or even bothered, so when it came time I went home. I figure if they ever have a war they want to win they can call me, but until then I have a wife."



GBD said "They did that same silly shit in Vietnam."



I said "And a damn shame it was, too."



We all kinda stood there for a second, and then the GBC started making that "we've-been-talking-boy-talk-too-long-so-we're-leaving-now" head jerk, and I asked if there was anything else I could find for them.



GBC said no, but GBD looked at me, all steely-eyed, and said "Son, we're lucky to have you here." And shook my hand.



Goddamn if that didn't make my day. I sure hope I made theirs.