Saturday, April 14, 2007

A Little Southern Treat!

When I was growing up, in East Texas, we used to have a treat from time to time.

Honestly, it never occurred to me that it was THAT much of a purely Southern thing, until I got up North, and folks here said "huh?" when I mentioned it.

So, for those of you who've never tried it, here's my spin on a Southern treat: Frito pie!

Start off with 2 cans of chili. I know most of you won't make your own chili.

Beanless chili is better for this, trust me.

I used Campbell's Steak Chili; it's worth the extra, IMO.

Once the chili's started in the saucepan - one preferably with some extra room - you can add the fun stuff.

1/3 chopped white or yellow onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 Lb. cubed Velveeta cheese
Chili powder to taste - I use a lot, you may not want to
Diced hot peppers to taste - again, I use a lot, you may not want to

Cook that all together until the cheese is all melted and everything is well mixed, stirring frequently.

Once the stuff is ready, get some bowls, and fill them with Fritos.

Alternately, you can do it the really cheap way, and get one of those Frito snack packs, with the small individual bags.

Ladle the chili sauce over the Fritos fairly lavishly. You can sprinkle shredded cheese over the top if you want; just don't overdo it. You want to taste the chili.

Eat!

No, it's unhealthy as hell, blah blah blah, that's true. But it sure does taste good. Plus, if you're a beer drinker, it's hard to find a meal that's a better match for a cold bottle of Tecate.