Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Personal Cheap Chef Strikes Again...

...so, since there was such a positive response to my last recipe, here's another one.

The great thing about this recipe is that it's easy and cheap; you can get everything you need at Wal-Mart.

So:

In a medium saucepan, combine the following:

  • 1/3 pound Velveeta (We used "Great Value Melt and Dip" from Wal-Mart) in small cubes
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 tbsp. butter / margarine. (Obviously, butter is better.)
Set that on medium heat, and simmer slowly until the velveeta and sour cream both melt completely into the sauce.

Add:

  • 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 tbsp. chili powder
  • 2 tbsp. minced garlic
  • EITHER 1 tbsp. onion powder, or 1/2 small finely minced onion.
Simmer, stirring frequently, until all ingredients are smoothly mixed and sauce is uniform.

At this point, the sauce itself is done, and can be removed from heat. It should be used fairly quickly, though, because it will gel and thicken as it cools. You know this; it has cheese in it.

Now what _I_ did with it was:

When adding the spices, I also added 4 chopped hot dogs to it.

In a separate pan, I made a crisp vegetable boil, with carrots, peas, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, lima beans, and celery. Once the veggies were just tender, I turned off the burner and drained them. Then I poured the sauce over them.

There will be plenty of sauce left when the vegetables are gone, so I suggest doing what we did, which was to dunk lightly toasted, thin sliced Italian bread in the remaining sauce.

All together, maybe $7 for the whole meal, not counting stuff that went back in the fridge to be used as ingredients in other stuff later.


A note about sour cream.

Everybody knows Daisy brand sour cream.

I don't use it. I find that of the off-the-shelf stuff, Breakstone Dairy sour cream is the best tasting and best cooking of the bunch.

That's a strictly personal preference, and based only on my own observation, but I'd say if you've never tried their product, withhold judgment until you do. It's definitely the best I've been able to find.

That is, without talking to the Amish. They just rock.

I just wish they'd put ass-bags on their horses.