Thursday, March 18, 2010

An Easy Breakfast

Given the idea by Jack-in-the-Box restaurants' surprisingly good breakfast bowls, and inspired to a kind of fiendish inventiveness by hunger, the other day I manufactured this dish.


One of my fellow breakfast eaters announced that it was "better than sex" which I am pretty sure is an exaggeration, but prompted me to point out that if that is in fact the case, she and her man are clearly doing something incorrectly.

It was pretty tasty, though, and so I will share.

This is a dish made in layers, in a particular order, so as to maximize the use of the bacon grease. If you are not a bacon fan (what's WRONG with you?) then you can substitute another cooking oil, but I'm not writing out a whole second set of directions.

Learn to cope.

So: rather than give a list of ingredients, I will tell you how I made these, in the exact order I used to make them. You'll get the ingredients along the way.

This makes four small, or two "omg I'm full," breakfast bowls.

First, I started by taking a half pound of thick-cut bacon, and slicing it into strips across the pre-cut slices; this resulted in a good supply of 1/4" by 1" micro-strips.

I took a good-sized, high-walled skillet, tossed the bacon in, and set it on high.

While the bacon was frying, I scrambled together 6 eggs in a bowl, and used a mason jar to shake together a cup and a half of milk, three heaping tablespoons of flour, and some white pepper.

My lovely assistant was kind enough to save me some time, and diced several potatoes (I think 4) into 1/2" cubes, skin-on.

As the bacon reached its desired crispiness, I took it out of the pan, leaving as much of the grease as I could, and set it aside to drain on a paper towel. I poured the diced potatoes into the hot grease, and continued with high heat, spicing the potatoes fairly generously with seasoned salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. (Fresh garlic and onion would have been better, but not by enough to be worth the trouble; i was really pretty hungry.) As they cooked, I got out two fairly deep bowls.

When the potatoes were ready, I drained off all but a tiny bit of the now-spicy grease into a cup, and put the potatoes into the bottoms of the bowls. Returning to the stove, I poured the scrambled eggs into the pan, and added some parsley flakes. While the eggs were getting nicely scrambled, I prevailed upon my lovely assistant to cube and melt some Velveeta cheese in the microwave, and added my own shredded cheddar cheese to the eggs as they scrambled.

Once the eggs were done, I separated them into the bowls, and crumbled the bacon over them, then topped them with the melted cheese.

Returning once again to the stove, I poured the remaining grease into the pan, along with the milk mixture, and stirred it until it thickened into a nicely creamy, lightly peppery gravy, which I then poured over the bowls.

All done!

They were quite filling, and though slightly time-consuming, they go faster than you might think if you have someone there to dice and hand you stuff.

For variations on this, I would perhaps add some chives to the eggs, or substitute different cheeses; I'd think Feta for the eggs and Monterey Jack for the melted topping might go well.

Enjoy!