Sunday, September 21, 2008

Death Magnetic

Rating:★★★
Category:Music
Genre: Hard Rock & Metal
Artist:Metallica
Another year, yet another release from The Band That Pissed Off The World.

This effort is significantly better than the unadulterated tripe and entrails that was the horrible, horrible St. Anger album; the licks sound far more unified, and the Black Album "Metallica Sound" is solidly back. (I leave it to you to decide if that's a good thing, since many people absolutely hated that CD.)

I notice that this album is much more self-indulgent than previous efforts; there's only one song on the entire CD that's less than 6 minutes long, and it's 5:01. The longest settles in at a nearly impossibly lengthy 9:57; frankly, a song this long has to be damned interesting to hold my attention, and these aren't quite strong enough to get there.

I'll give the disc three stars; it's far heavier than St. Anger, and has a much more classic Metallica sound, but the songs are overly long and somewhat repetitive, and lack the... edge, I suppose... that was there to be found on their earlier albums.

I do not plan to support this band by purchasing any more of their music, ever; but this album gives me an indication that they're at least making a half-assed effort to rehabilitate themselves into some semblance of a metal band again, which I suppose is good, in a sort of a "nobody-gives-a-fuck-why-don't-you-go-home-and-drink-beer-on-your-huge-piles-of-money-and-shut-the-fuck-up" kind of way.