Saturday, October 07, 2006

Two Reasons This Rat Is Jumping Ship.

Ok. I have been a huge Sony Playstation fanboy for a long-ass time. The library of games was superior, the variety was better, and the quality was better.



As far as I'm concerned, there's a good reason the PSOne outsold the Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, and GameCube combined, as well as continuing to whip the XBOX's ass.



The PS2 is just as good. Granted - and this is a pretty large concession - the XBOX has better graphics, although in my experience the developers do more with the Sony hardware than they do with the XBOX's, but the PS2 rocks, and once again, there are a ton of great games for the system.



All that has come to an end.



The PS3 is the biggest consumer assreaming ever perpetrated by an electronics company.



There, I said it.



Want to know why?



First: the price. $599, for fuck's sake. Who are you kidding? I bought my Playstation 2 when it first came out, paid $350, and felt like I had gotten swiped up and down with vinegared sandpaper. I only decided it was a good purchase a year or so later - at first the price was severely offputting.



The PS3 costs nearly twice what I paid for the PS2. How many confirmed launch titles are there?



None.



Yeah, that's right, NONE. NOT ONE GODDAMN GAME is confirmed to be 100% ready to ship for the launch.



Which brings me to point #2: the hardware. The reason the price is so high is because the hardware is completely above and beyond. It beats the pants off my desktop PC, and my PC can run Doom 3 at a good framerate, thanks. It's not a $10,000 machine; but still solid. PS3 owns it completely.



But that in itself is a problem, since I don't have all the other stuff I'd need to get the best out of it. I have two TVs, but both are standard; so I don't give a good goddamn if it CAN show 1080p; my TV can't, so I'm looking at 480i anyway.



Blu-Ray? But, again, this is HD, and I don't have that; thus irrelevant.



Badass games? Where? Oh, and if they're gonna cost $100+, in 5 years my library of games will be roughly 3. They'd have to be so good the girls from Rumble Roses climb out of the disc tray and do a striptease in my living room. There's no actual plan for this to happen of which I am aware.



So, I'm not impressed. The same problems apply to the XBOX360, as far as I'm concerned; a huge expense for features I can't use anyway at this point, and won't be able to in the immediate future.



And then there's the Wii.



The Wii can support 4 players on those bizarre-looking controllers at once, which means party games.



The Wii can play EVERY NINTENDO GAME EVER. That's an instant software library of THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of games.



The Wii can only go up to 480p resolution - but since this is going onto my TV, that's about as good as it gets anyway.



The Wii can play online - and comes with a year of free service.



The Wii controller still has vibrate. HAHA, Sony.



And the most important selling point? The tiny but mighty Wii will cost $250.



Goddamn right.





To illustrate my point in another way:






\r\nOr, for a third example, there's this.
\r\n
\r\n
\r\nThat's a good selling point, there, chief. And so, sighing deeply at the demise of Sega, off I go, trudging back to Nintendo.
\r\n
\r\nBut I'm not overly sad, because in 5 or 6 years, my wife, my child, and I will all be sitting in the living room playing Super Smash Brothers Brawl, and having a fucking blast.
\r\n
\r\nBy that time, maybe PS3 will be down to $400. Of course, the Wii will be down to $100, but hey, who's counting, right?
\r\n
\r\n