Tuesday, October 05, 2010

A Tale Of Woe, Agony, And Disappointment

So today, my coworker ________ from Giant_Retailer_00, comes in looking tragic.


I want to make this clear; she didn't look tragic because of her clothing, or her grooming; no, she looked like someone had just kicked her puppy.

Hard.

Now, this particular individual is someone I like fairly well, although she seems (based on her reaction anytime I talk to her) to think I am basically made from some kind of horrifying mixture of toxic waste and flaming weasels with anthrax, but since I am the Kinder, Gentler Dave, I tried carefully to stay out of her way and not say anything.

I couldn't avoid overhearing her complaining about something.

I was going to say something about her new haircut, which looked good, but decided that I didn't really want to get the "how-soon-can-I-scrape-this-off-my-shoe" look again, and thought better of it.

But after a while, I realized that what I was overhearing in bits and pieces, while she complained to other coworkers, was a tearful rant about...

...Her new haircut.

...Wait, what?


What's wrong with it?

So, unable to restrain myself anymore, I asked.

After the expected glare, I was informed that she went and got a haircut, and it was so awful that she cried all the way home, and it looks terrible, and...

...Errr...

Ok, for background, I would expect that as a totally normal response to a haircut IF the girl in question had had waist-length hair that was suddenly cut to her shoulders; that's commonly traumatic, and so totally understandable.

Well.

Ok, understandable to the extent that my plumbing kit allows.

Anyway.

In this case, however, while I grant that her hair was SOME longer before, and SOME shorter after, it wasn't the kind of disastrous cut that makes bystanders cringe, children cry, and dogs bark furiously.

"Um... What's wrong with it?"

Now, this is an honest question. I thought it looked cute; fit her features well, all that. So I was totally mystified by the drama surrounding it.

I was, however, totally unsurprised to receive another glare and a disdainful snort.

Well, fine; I accept that I am a guy, and therefore totally unequipped for subtlety, and incapable of telling good from bad, or having any fashion sense whatsoever, but this still doesn't answer my question...

..."What's wrong with it?"

Apparently, her hairdresser - or, I suppose, ex-hairdresser, given that she referred to the offender as "that awful bitch" several times - attacked her with a chainsaw followed by a bath of rabid pitbulls.

So, yeah.

I give.

I am too much of a guy to grasp what the flaw was in it.

For the record, I thought it looked good.

But *shrug* yet another reason to file away to not comment, mention, discuss, or even look at women's hair, until they indicate - usually by insults - that they wanted you to compliment them on it.

*Sigh.*