Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Neutral Ground

I know that some of you to whom this article is available will have no clue what I'm going on about. Congratulations! You're not involved in what I'm going to talk about, and can totally ignore this.

I want to discuss in passing some things that have been brought to my attention over the last few days.

I say "in passing," because I am not involved, don't know the details, and don't want to.

I also say "in passing," because, not knowing any of the details, and not desiring for anyone to fill me in, I am not directing this at, or to, any specific person or group; I don't know who's wrong, don't want to find out, and frankly don't give a fuck.

I have a few contacts; more than some, less than others.

It is inevitable, in any such arrangement, that some will dislike, or even hate, others.

Which is their right.

But the explosions of drama that I have witnessed on several of my friends' pages in recent days WILL NOT occur here.

I want to be perfectly clear, so there is no possibility whatsoever of misunderstanding.

Right now, I am having some personal, non-internet related difficulties. Those of you who know me well enough to care already know more details than they were likely interested in, and the rest have no real need to know.

But suffice to say that I have enough drama in my life right now that honestly I couldn't give a FLYING FUCK what goes on between my contacts, so long as they are friendly and well-behaved with ME.

I love you guys. Several of you have proven yourselves true friends; some of you know me from outside multiply; some of you have known me - both on here and personally - for literally years. Some of you are newer in my constellation of friends, but present because I like you. Some of you I've been lucky enough to meet in real life after meeting you on here. You guys are a treasure trove of differing views, differing personalities, and wildly differing lifestyles. All of you are my friends, to one degree or another, and I value you all immensely.

On my site, whatever the situation that exists here, you get along. Argue about politics, call all the names you want about politics or any news I report or article I write, fine.

Discussion of relevant topics can be as no-holds-barred as it needs to be; in that regard my page has always been a free-fire zone.

But personal, non-topical, unrelated drama spillover from events and discussions outside my page is unwelcome here, now and always.

I am having a tough time personally, guys.

Many of you are near and dear to me.

So please understand the gravity of what I am going to say here.

If there is a drama explosion of the magnitude of the ones I have seen over the last three nights on my page, there will be two levels of response.

The first level is that I will ban each and every participant. Full blocks; no warning, no repeal.

If anyone then complains to me about my cataclysmic unfairness in doing so, I WILL FOLD MY FUCKING TENT AND LEAVE.

I have kept this blog going, sometimes with minor hiatuses for various reasons, but pretty steadily overall, for the better part of six years. It has at various times been a forum for me to simply rant and complain; a home for my political essays, whose quality both of writing and thought I leave up to your judgment; a place for me to tell about positive things in my life; a social home for me on the web.

That last fits best, I guess; Multiply has been very good to me indeed, and I find myself more comfortable here by far than among the endless farmville posts on Facebook or the meaningless status updates on Myspace.

And I am telling you, one and all, here and now, that my personal life is too demanding right now for me to get dragged into this bullshit by the inevitable gravitational field that seems to surround such things.

I have real-life issues that require my attention; I cannot spare any for shit that, frankly, all and sundry should have outgrown around the time that people graduated high school.

I really don't want to have to make that decision.

So, I am asking.

Please.

If you guys value my presence on Multiply as anything worth keeping, please behave on my page. I am not involved; do not want to be involved; do not want to have the reasons I should be involved explained to me in personal messages; do not want an uncategorical enumeration of some other user's flaws, either in private or public; I want nothing whatsoever to do with this.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts on the subject.