Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Dark Knight For $2.50?!?

I love the drive-in theater. Officially.

This was a new experience for me; I've never been to one as an adult, and so I was not really sure what to expect.

But let me say this; even though "Journey To The Center Of The Earth" - the Brendan Fraser remake - may be the worst movie I've seen in a decade, and is certainly the worst I've had my intelligence insulted since The Core, seeing The Dark Knight for $2.50 on its second day of release was worth every penny.

Journey To The Center Of The Earth was bad. It was so bad, in fact, that Tara asked me

"Honey, Brendan Fraser made tons of money in The Mummy and The Mummy Returns; why on earth would he take this movie?"
to which I replied,
"Because he hasn't worked since The Mummy Returns."
Bad. Battlecruiser Millennium Bad.

Shitty.

Bioluminescent BIRDS?

A miniature SUN in the depths of the earth?

An ocean with HURRICANES in the depths of the earth?

A FRIGGING TYRANNOSAURUS REX IN THE DEPTH OF THE EARTH WHERE THERE IS NOTHING FOR IT TO EAT?

I leave out the minor, gemstones-pulled-from-the-rocky-walls-with-perfect-facets-and-clarity badness; I'm talking about THIS MOVIE JUST PLAIN SUCKS AND SHOULD BE DESTROYED.

But The Dark Knight...

Well, it was so good I wrote not one, but two, five-star reviews.

One that's spoiler-free, for those who haven't seen it and want to hear my opinion without having to know everything about it; and one that tells all and knows all, for those who have seen it and want to discuss it.

Bear in mind that when I say "has spoilers" I mean to say "completely gives away the ending of the movie even to the point of direct quotation."

That said, feel free to read either.

Here's the spoiler-free one.

Here's the one that will completely give everything away and ruin your whole time at the movies by giving away all the surprises.

Now.

When your theater tells you that they'd be forced to shut the doors if they didn't charge you $11 for a single ticket at matinee, ask them why my drive-in can show it at the same time, on the same weekend, and charge $2.50. Maybe if enough people do that, they'll stop stealing your money. For the record, Tara and I will see The Dark Knight again next weekend - for $2.50.

By the time you've taken your date to the movie, you've already paid more than Tara and i will have paid to see it twice, along with Hancock and JTTCOTE. That's two people, four showings for - count it - $20.

I love the drive-in.

0 Comments: