Thursday, July 10, 2008

Craftsmanship

This week, I've had a clear demonstration of the truth of the old saying,

You get what you pay for.
My work boots have been gradually wearing out, and I had been planning to buy new ones this weekend. I got a surprise on Tuesday, though; my toes started getting wet, in supposedly waterproof boots. I investigated and found a hole in my left boot big enough to stick my thumb through. Literally; I demonstrated for Tara.

Yikes.

Now, I'm not complaining; those boots are 18 months old, and only cost $30; they've done well by me, all things considered.

But.

On my feet the last two days, I have been wearing a pair of U.S. Army issue leather infantry boots.

They cost me about $100 in the PX in Fort Benning, Georgia. I bought them as an extra pair, when I was in Airborne school. In 1996.

I didn't have a chance this week to buy pads to put in them - and there's no point, really, since I'm getting new work boots this weekend anyway - so my feet hurt like blue blazes, now, but you know what? Those boots are 12 years old, and I can still wear them to work.

That, folks, is good craftsmanship, plain and simple. Those boots have 83 airborne jumps; they've been to 11 countries, walked and run countless miles, and been faithful companions of mine for over a decade. They're getting near the end of their road, but they're not quite there yet.

That kinda puts "cost three times as much," into perspective, doesn't it?

0 Comments: