Thursday, May 01, 2008

A Convenient Guide To Stifling Dissent

One thing I've always found fantastically amusing about the left is the way they "defend" their nonsensical arguments.
The other day, I commented on a blog post; a previous commenter had said something utterly ludicrous, so I said that it was - I believe my exact words were "load of garbage" - and gave facts and figures to disprove their silliness...
...And was immediately, in very passive-aggressive fashion, accused of stifling dissent.
I'm noticing this as a growing trend among lefties, to attempt to stifle dissent, by accusing everyone who disagrees with them of attempting to stifle dissent. There's a trick to weathering this little technique when it crops up, and that is to call them on it. See, it only works if you DON'T call them on it; if you let them put you on the defensive, you not only undermine your argument, but you also lend credibility to their claim that you're attempting to stifle dissent that it simply doesn't deserve.
You might try, instead, something along the lines of, "Did you honestly think accusing me of something clearly and obviously untrue would constitute a refutation of my argument? Sorry, no. All you accomplished was to accurately reflect the situation - you can't prove me wrong, so you're trying to force me to shut up."
For those of you who really need the handholding explanation, here's a handy "stifling dissent" guide:

  • "You're not allowed to comment here anymore!" = stifling dissent.
  • "You're wrong and here's why:" IS dissent.
  • "I'm deleting your comment because you're a poopyhead." = stifling dissent.
  • "Explain to me why you think _______, because it's wrong." IS dissent.
  • "Shut up." = stifling dissent.
  • "Here's a flaw in your idea." IS dissent.
  • "You're just commenting to stir up trouble!" = stifling dissent.
  • "No, I just feel like proving you're an idiot." IS dissent, but inappropriate in logical discourse.
See the distinction?
So, if you're telling liberals to shut up, deleting their comments, or ordering them to stop commenting, then you're stifling dissent; if you're confining your remarks to the substance of their arguments, then what you're doing IS dissent.

This has been another episode of Rights Liberals Think Should Only Apply To Them.

0 Comments: