Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Sordid Tale Of Epic Personal Failure: The Saga Continues!

You may recall from my previus article the really nice couple having a really (inexplicably) difficult time getting their TV replaced.


Things have only progressed in the same vein thus far.

After the cataclysmically awful series of events that happened Sunday night, I got to work Tuesday with some degree of apprehension; after all, what else could go wrong?

...Boy, did I ever find out.

I looked on the computer to find their order; no problem, the cancellation request went through and their money has been refunded.

Awesome!

So I call them up, explain that it's been credited back to their card...

...And she tells me that she lost the card while shopping on Monday and called to cancel it.

No sweat, it'll go back to your checking...

...It's a prepaid debit card. No checking attached.

That thumping sound you're hearing is my forehead hitting the desk repeatedly.

So she asks me when I work this week, so they can come in as soon as they get their new card from the issuing bank.

I click on the icon to check my schedule...

And the computer crashes!

You just can't make this shit up, I tell you.

So, I guesstimated - correctly, as it turns out, and took action to make sure that the inventory problem with the TV was in fact fixed.

Oooooooook.

Cut to Wednesday.

They came in.

I almost hid under the counter.

But, ok, I promised them a resolution, and dammit, I'm going to give it to them.

So, we check the website. Lo and behold, the credit sent to their debit card was only $22 - the rest went to the gift card we gave them the first time. So that's good; but the $22 went into some kind of limbo, because their bank refused the credit from the refund to the canceled debit card.

So I called the website people.

They told me that the $22 was just "out there, somewhere." They couldn't get it back, and it would have to wait for the bank to sort itself back out.

Now, I am alllll about the customer service, so I patiently explained to the rep that these customers have been waiting for us to get this sorted out for FOUR DAYS, and could we just order the TV, price override it to the amount on the gift card, and ship it to them so they'd be happy and not think we're completely incompetent tool sheds?

No.

That was the entirety of the answer: no.

At this point, I was more than a bit exercised with the website. I got a front-end person to come back, and we gave them a gift card for the $22 - flat-out gave it to them - so that we could get this resolved.

Go to the site, amazingly enough, the website still hasn't updated to reflect the fact that we still don't have this TV in inventory; we are still only given the option to give it to them from local inventory.

I call the website again.

"OMGWTF, fix it!"

And they said, "Yeah, maybe Saturday it'll be updated."

...

Words failed me.

I literally sat there for at least ten seconds making incoherent noises at the rep on the phone.

Then I began from the beginning and explained the whole story to her, again, and asked, very politely - never a good sign with me, as that, rather than vitriol, is usually the sign of an impending disaster of legendary proportions - if we couldn't possibly hurry that right along.

Nope. Saturday is the earliest they can have it updated.

So I hung up on her, turned to my customers, and begged them to let me order it to be sent to one of the other nearby store locations so they could pick it up.

And they told me, "Not a chance. We're sticking with you, after the amount of work you've put into this. Saturday it is."

Is anyone going to think less of me if I'm in Timbucktu when Saturday rolls around? I'm serious, this is like some kind of terrifying voodoo curse.