Tuesday, June 01, 2010

You Know...

I am not a fan of Michael Cera.


For those of you wondering what I'm blathering about, or wondering who Michael Cera is, he's a gimpy kid who acts in (usually) terrible movies which purport to be comedies but in fact usually are simply pitiable failures.

But even the most wretched "actor" can find a particular movie that redeems their career.

Now, understand that I am not able to foretell the future, and further that as I have not seen this movie - only the trailer - I am unable to guess if this will accomplish that near-miracle for Mr. Cera.

But.

Ok, let's back up a bit.

There's a series of graphic novels - fancy comic books - called Scott Pilgrim.

The eponymous character is a slacker and mediocre musician who manages to fall in love with the wrong girl - the REALLY wrong girl, whose "League of Evil Ex-Boyfriends," each of whom has some variety of supernatural powers - all decide to battle Scott to the death.

There is very little seriousness to be had here, but a hell of a lot of amusement; jokes are made at the expense of video games, comic books, slackers, and the inevitable escapist fantasy life led by those in - shall we say - lower income brackets.

So, yeah, the books are fun.

So when I saw that they were making a movie, and that Michael Cera would be in it, I groaned deeply and banged my forehead firmly against my desk.

Imagine my surprise when the trailer they posted for it managed to capture and convey the graphic novels nearly perfectly.

Imagine my further surprise to discover that it's directed by the guy who made Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

So, here it is: Scott Pilgrim Versus The World. If snarky graphic novels aren't your thing, you probably won't like this.

But I thought it was badass, and will melt your face off with awesome.