Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Mango Chicken Stir-Fry

OK, this recipe is going to seem a bit weird, because of circumstance.

I will explain.

I made this stuff fresh, and everyone that tried it thought it was great.

But there was some left, which went in the fridge. And two days later, when I pulled it out...

...It was even better. Having had the time for all the flavors to soak in, it was much more flavorful than it was when fresh.

So, my recommendation when - if - you try this is to prepare it, then put it in the fridge overnight and then reheat it the next day. Weird, I know, but trust me on this.

So, here we go.

You will need:

-Fresh mixed vegetables (broccoli florets, cauliflower, asparagus spears, carrots, zucchini, summer squash.) Frozen veggies will work, but they will also add a lot of water to the sauce and you don't want that; besides, fresh cooks better anyway.

- 1 1/2 STICKS of butter. I know this is a lot, but trust me, it's worth it. If you prefer, you can use 1 stick butter and two teaspoons of lard, but I liked it fine with butter.

-4 ounces of concentrated lemon juice. One of those plastic lemon things will work fine; it's what I used.

-Maaaaaybe two teaspoons of lime juice.

-Ground ginger. I'm not going to be specific, because you're using it to taste; but I used I think 2 teaspoons.

-Honey.

-Chicken. I used boneless chicken breasts cut into thin strips; it fries easily that way.

-One fresh, ripe mango.


Before you begin the sauce, chop the vegetables into pieces as fine as you like; cut up the chicken. Take the mango, peel it, and cut the meat away from the seed. Once this is done, dice the mango pieces fairly small; not larger than the tip of your pinky finger. (You want the juices to soak in.)

Start the sauce by melting one whole stick of butter in a saucepan. Once the butter is melted, add the lemon and lime juices and the mango pieces. Once that's simmering, add honey and ginger until the sauce is as tart as you prefer; err on the side of tartness, though, because the mango will sweeten it a good deal once it cooks in.

Once the sauce is taste-ready and simmering, put the remaining butter (or lard,) in your wok and fry the chicken until it is mostly cooked; once the chicken is almost cooked through, add the mango sauce and the fresh vegetables, and stir until the vegetables are cooked to your satisfaction.

Remove it from heat. You can eat it fresh, but again, my recommendation would be to store it in the fridge overnight and let the flavors really blend; the mango comes out a lot more strongly if you give it some time to soak in.

Hope you guys like it as much as I did!