Saturday, February 13, 2010

"Ok, Awkward..."

So, using our free movie passes from the other night, we went to see Legion this morning.

For me this was a very...

...Errr...

Uneven movie.

How so?

Well, the plot is pretty tight; the action works, there are a few good scares, it doesn't bore you with endless weird expository statements; all good things.

The dialogue...

Well, there were three separate places in the movie when I turned to Tara and said "Ok, awkward..." and there were two more that I didn't do that for only because she said she was going to smack me if I didn't stop.

But the crown jewel of the collection was when she and I were both convinced that the two archangels were going in for The Big Man Smooch. Thankfully they didn't, but the level of homoeroticism in the scene where Michael and Gabriel confront each other was...

...Awkward.

Look, it's the best word for it, ok?

I really wanted to like this movie; I DID like the ending, which was inconclusive enough to probably piss off most of the intended audience, but offered a slice of hope that was a nice contrast.

But seriously, the awkwardness of the dialogue was really too much to overlook. I tried, but "it does not have to be this way, my brother." "It can be no other way." "Then it shall be this way."

...What? Are you SERIOUS?

...This kind of thing reminds me forcibly that movie scripts are unionized.